NORTHERN NECK FOOD BANK VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
VOLUNTEER POSITION DESCRIPTIONS
A few hours are all that it takes for you to help us lead the effort to eliminate hunger in our community. It’s a big mission, but working together we can make a difference.
There are many different volunteer opportunities within our organization with new positions opening up this summer revolving around our new program of fresh produce. Volunteers are encouraged to assist wherever their interests lay and their time permits. Training and orientation are provided for each position. All positions necessitate some flexibility in scheduling. For example: we will sort when there are pallets of food needing sorting & we will glean fields when the produce is ready to be picked. Normally, a couple of days’ notice is provided when volunteer help is needed, usually via e-mail. Generally, there is no specific total amount of hours per week to which a volunteer is asked to commit.
• NON-PERISHABLE SORTING: The sorting volunteer assists, as a member of a group of workers, in sorting the various foods received through food drives. This is a job which entails walking, bending, light lifting & the ability to interpret the safety & desirability of the various foods. This position is important as a good percentage of our food is obtained through various food drives and donations. Generally, we sort 3 mornings a week and volunteers are not tied to a specific day.
• GLEANING: To glean is to gather the useful remnants of a crop from a field after harvesting by the farmer is completed. For example, often only the top ears of a corn stalk are picked by the farmer, leaving the lower, ears on the stalk. The gleaners will work in the fields, usually with two days advance notice, when the growers have produce for the picking. This involves varying level of physical activity, dependent on the crop.
• SORTING PRODUCE: The crops that are gleaned or donated to the Food Bank by area farmers will often be brought into our warehouse, where they will be packaged for delivery to the pantries. This involves varying level of physical activity, dependent on the crop.
• EVENTS: Assist with multiple aspects of community and special event preparation and execution. Marketing department staff will interview volunteers interested in on-going event assignments.
• ASSISTING IN WAREHOUSE: These regular volunteer assignments include food drive check-in, agency marketplace weigh station, light maintenance crew, and more. These volunteers work regular shifts in the warehouse along with Food bank staff to ensure proper customer service to food donors, community groups, and agencies. The Volunteer Department staff has a current list of warehouse customer service assignments to review during your interview. Help maintain our warehouse facility to ensure a safe, clean environment. The warehouse needs two volunteers once a week when the warehouse is closed to sweep, mop, clean the restroom, clean out the truck, and clean food bins as necessary.
• RECEPTION ASSISTANT: Answer phones, help visitors with food donation deliveries, assist volunteers, and sorting mailing. This volunteer will have proper skills and ability to provide superior customer service to all callers and visitors.
Please contact Kathy Bergeron, Volunteer Coordinator, (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Northern Neck Food Bank for further information 804-577-0246 or visit us at the Northern Neck Food Bank, 5116, Richmond Road, Warsaw VA 22572