What is the Northern Neck Food Bank?
Northern Neck Food Bank is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization located in Warsaw, Virginia. We provide logistical support to qualifying food pantries and organizations in the counties of Lancaster, Northumberland, Richmond, Westmoreland/Colonial Beach, Middlesex and Essex.
What does the Northern Neck Food Bank do?
The services we offer include:
- Providing food to food pantries at $0.19 or less per pound by acting as a redistribution center (RDO) for Feed More, Inc. (Central Virginia Food Bank)
- Delivering food items to the food pantries
- Organizing forums for food pantries to exchange ideas and collaborate in their efforts
- Collecting food from area farms and grocery stores for distribution to food pantries
- Organizing food drives to collect food as well as to educate the community about nutritional needs for low income families
- Provide gleaning opportunities for adults and young people with our local farmers and growers
- Provide fresh produce from Northern Neck growers for families across eastern Virginia through our partnership with Feed More, Inc.
What is the difference between a Food Bank and a Food Pantry?
Although the terms are often used to describe the same function, food banks and food pantries serve very different purposes:
A Food Pantry is usually set up in a church or non-profit community organization as a means to distribute free food directly to needy families in their area. The food pantry’s distribution area is usually limited to a single geographic area such as a town, a zip code, or a county.
A Food Bank is a warehouse that provides food and logistical support to the Food Pantry.
How can I make donations to the Northern Neck Food Bank?
As an individual you can make a contribution through the “donate” button on our website, or send a check to: Northern Neck Food Bank, P.O. Box 735, Warsaw, VA 22572. In addition, we accept gifts of stock and memorial or honorary gifts.
As a church, the best contribution you can make to the community through Northern Neck Food Bank is to commit an annual pledge on your church’s budget. The church is our community’s best asset for helping low-income families, and a partnership with Northern Neck Food Bank strengthens that effort.